One more thing about using a BitTorrent client

  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:26:31 -0400

        One thing I should have mentioned; a BitTorrent client will work
*much* faster and better if a certain range of your  internet "ports"
are opened for it.

This varies from one client to the next, and how you open the ports
depends on whether you have a hardware router firewall or a software
firewall.  If you're running both, then you'll likely have to open your
ports at both.  If you're not running either, don't forget that XP could
be running a firewall for you automatically.

This allows the tracker and other BitTorrent clients to make contact
with your client.  This also causes the tracker to assign more
concurrent connections to you, as each connection requires it's own
port.

Which ports need to be opened depend on the client itself, so you will
need to check it's documentation.

How to open them (or forward them in hardware firewall terms) depends
upon your particular firewall.

Your client will still work if you don't do this, just a lot more
slowly.

For the ABC client, I believe the range of ports it will want opened for
possible use is 60000 to 70000.

Hth,

Chip