RE: Jaws and Microsoft Word

  • From: <Michael.Schulz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:20:45 +0100

Interesting thing on a similar environment here (xp pro & office 2003):
-       open outlook 2003
-       open word 2003
-       alt + tab and reverse is ok
-       open outlook 2003 help (f1) brings up a internal help system of
outlook 2003
-       tab brings me from item to item (pc cursor active) and after
some selections the external outlook 2003 help system is open (jaws
cursor is active and a new task bar icon next to the word and the
outlook icons can be recognized)
-       jaws key + f10 > word 2003 > open word 2003 help (f1) > opens a
internal help system (same as in outlook 2003) > tabbing around and
selecting items switches to the external word help system (the third
task bar icon for help is now the word help and no longer the outlook
help system)
-       jaws key + f10 > outlook 2003 opens the outlook window > insert
+ plus (jaws cursor) > I am able to read the internal outlook help
window which is not in focus of the pc cursor (it is the same if I am
switching to word 2003)
-       closing the external help system closes not the internal help
systems of outlook and word (the jaws cursor could be used to read the
internal help systems and I cann not close them because the pc cursor is
in focus in the word or outlook application)
-       the internal help systems could not be closed because jaws gets
no focus to the close icons and so I have to close the outlook and word
applications
=       this behaviour seems to be the result of the old help window
system of windows 98 because jaws uses the 98 help settings (press jaws
key + q in the open internal or external help system)
The problem in using the "insert + up arrow" once ore twice is
interesting but using the tab insted of insert + up arrow solves it
here. As someone other on this list wrote, it couldd sometimes be
helpful to use insert + escape or to switch from pc cursor to jaws
cursor et vice versa to see what is really on the screen.
I know several applications which uses these internal help systems and I
am always happy if I could be helped in closing by someone who is not
blind.
This behaviour exists not in office 2007 but there are some other
handicaps.
A solution to this is very much welcomed - so, if someone here could
help that would be great.
Regards, Michael