RE: Jaws and Microsoft Word.

  • From: Ryan MacIsaac <jrmacisaac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:09:31 -0300

This problem is easily corrected. With Jaws 9, when you copy something from
the web, the default is that all formatting from the original web page is
retained. Depending on what you paste the selected text into, this may cause
a problem. To change this, you need to open the Jaws verbosity options tree
view while in your web browser and change the select and copy option. To
accomplish this, do the following:

1. Open your web browser.

2. Press the Jaws key plus V to open the new tree view for Jaws options.

3. Press the down arrow key to find the option for select and copy. This is
found under the virtual cursor options. You should have to press the down
arrow key three or four times to find this option.

4. When you find the select and copy option, you can press the tab key to
move to the help window. Use the say all command to read the help
information for the select and copy option.

5. Use the shift tab key to move back to the tree view. Press the space bar
to change the options for the select and copy option. To make the option
work the way it did in earlier versions of Jaws, select the "from virtual
cursor" option.

6. Close the Jaws verbosity options window.

This change is permanent and remains in effect even if you shutdown Jaws or
your computer.

The full content option is the default in Jaws 9 - this is what retains all
formatting when copying text from a web page.

Ryan

#2: There is no off/on option for that setting, it is switch to a different
setting and the virtual cursor option is the option that was used in
previous versions.

Of course I tried it with no luck, possibly doing something wrong but their
instructions to use the space key does nothing. Frustrated to say the least