[jawsscripts] Re: pesky damn combo boxes, revisited

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:22:55 -0700

In short, James, no, but it'd sure make my life easier if I could.
Chad, let me look a little closer at what u r saying here. This is 1
of the most MSAA *unaware* apps I've worked w/in a long, long time &
also poorly written, e.g., combo boxes & radio buttons have a couple
different window classes (e.g., comboLBox & TComboBox) even within the
same program! I really think part of what's happened here is that
they've continued to add features over the years but never revised the
code to bring it into sync w/the new tools they're using, etc. Having
said all that, I'm not altogether certain I'm intelligent enough to
know how to do what u just said were the app the most well-written in
the world, Chad. But I'll look at it some more & see if maybe I can't
muddle thru.  I really do wish I could find some decent materials &
docs regarding objects, MSAA, UI automation--whatever & all of the
above. Any suggestions from any1 welcome. I have downloaded both the
windows & MSAA sdk, but it seems as though they kind of assume u
already know what you're doing--not a good assumption when it comes to
lil oal me, that's a certainty.

Frustrated.

On 4/30/08, James Dietz <James.Dietz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can't you just use alt+down to "open" the combo, choose item, then alt
> +up to "select" it?
>
> James
> On Apr 29, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Jackie McBride wrote:
>
> > Ok, yall, as I think I explained in a previous post, I've got a combo
> > box which, when the arrow keys are pressed, not only give the item
> > focus but select it as well. The problem here is that, when one
> > presses a key, if the synth is not working or whatever, u get a dialog
> > box to that effect & then u gotta go back to the combo & select
> > something else. Real pita. So I tried collecting the objects contained
> > in the combo box into a list with dlgSelectItemInList. Works fine
> > until the item is selected, e.g., I'm havin trouble matching the item
> > selected in the list to the item selected in the combo box. I was
> > playin around w/a whole lot of stuff--SetCurrentItem, (works
> > intermittently but does not select), send message (doesn't seem to
> > work at all though perhaps I'm doing that wrong), click object by name
> > (says it works but doesn't), just trying to click it (object can't be
> > found).
> >
> > Any1 got any brilliant ideas? Appreciate anything any1 has to offer.
> > --
> > Jackie McBride
> > Please join my fight against breast cancer
> > <http://teamacs.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=1790196&pg=personal&fr_id=3489
> > >
> > & Check out my homepage at:
> > www.abletec.serverheaven.net
> > //www.freelists.org/list/jawsscripts