[jawsscripts] Re: Scripting alternative for highlight tracking if custom highlight does not work

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:58:32 -0700

Bram, the saycolor() script, IMO, is not very precise, & I often use a
test script w/getColorAtPoint to return the rgb string of the
highlight.

On 7/18/12, Bram Duvigneau <bram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Could you explain the routing of JAWS to PC cursor? If I read this
> correctly, the FindColors function would set the JAWS cursor to the found
> position if any, but before you speak the text you are already routing the
> JAWS cursor back to the PC cursor?
>
> Bram
> On 18 jul. 2012, at 16:03, Jerry Posey wrote:
>
>> I did this in a new SayNextLine() and SayPriorLine() script to read a
>> highlighted line in a popup box. I also had it inside an If IsPCCursor so
>> it wouldn't limit using the jaws cursor it they needed to.
>> Var string strText
>> SaveCursor
>> If FindColors (RGBStringToColor ("000255255"), RGBStringToColor
>> ("000000128"), S_TOP) ==1 Then
>>   RouteJAWSToPC ()
>>   Delay (3)
>>   Let strText = GetColorField ()
>>   SayMessage (OT_LINE, strText)
>> Endif
>> That's one way I did it.
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Bram Duvigneau <bram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to let JAWS follow the highlighted row in a grid control.
>>> First
>>> thing I did was defining a custom highlight, but this didn't give any
>>> feedback when arrowing through the grid.
>>>
>>> By using insert+5 I see that the colors of the highlighted row change to
>>> the expected colors as defined in my custom highlight. Also, when
>>> alt+tabbing away from the application and back again, insert+upArrow
>>> reads
>>> the right row. So, it seems JAWS sees the colors, but does not respond
>>> by
>>> searching for a new highlight when I arrow around.
>>>
>>> So, I would like to:
>>> 1. Force JAWS to scan for a custom highlight when arrowing through the
>>> grid. Or
>>> 2. Write a custom script that searches for a highlight and reads it.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have some suggestions? Of course I would prefer option 1
>>> because this might be more stable and reliable and less work. Any
>>> example
>>> code as a starting point for options 2 is also highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Bram__________�

>> --
>> Jerry Posey
>> Envision Industries
>>
>> *Career opportunities for people with vision loss*

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com