[jawsscripts] Re: DOM assignments in JAWS Scripts

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:28:16 -0400

Hi Gary,

Yes it is for a DirecTV R22 (SD) DVR.  It is very cool!

I was writing scripts just to automate the scheduling process.  The DirecTV
guide is accessible.  Unfortunately, the online guide no longer allows
customization!  I find it burdensome to navigate through the hundreds of
channels.  DirecTV does have a very simple "mobile application" at
m.directv.com, which just looks like a simple web site to me.  It does not
allow you to check out what is on TV or see what is on next.  It does have a
search feature and an easy two oar three click process to schedule a show
from the results.  I use a very powerful, customizable online TV listings at
TitanTV.com.  It can display a 6 hour grid with very large fonts in a true
HTML table.  This allows me to navigate quickly through the grid using JAWS
table navigation.  The web pages for picking a custom channel lineup used to
be very accessible and simple.  Last Monday they completely updated their
site! The grid is a little prettier and still accessible.  Unfortunately,
they have made the adding channels to a custom channel lineup very difficult
and inaccessible!  Even my daughter had difficulty setting up my 50 or 60
channels in my lineup.

I have scripts that make looking through the Titan grid even easier.  Once
in the table by pressing t, I press Control+Shift+t to turn on Table
Navigation mode,  Basically, it allows me to move through a HTML table with
just the arrow keys.  So the up and down arrows move by channel and left and
right  move through the time columns.  I am working on the script, activated
by Control+Shift+r,  to get the program in the current cell, log onto
m.directv.com, get to the search page, enter the program to search for, and
go to the results.

The DVR is also capable of downloading Video On Demand from the Internet and
is very accessible!  There is also a beta PC application, DIRECTV2PC.  This
program lets you view the "My Playlist" of recorded shows and streams them
to your PC!  Works very well for the sighted, but very difficult for the
visually impaired!  I have enough sight that magnification helps me read "My
Playlist".  Some versions of the beta allow the video to stream and other,
unofficial, newer versions actually shut down streaming!  It thinks JAWS is
an attempt to copy the video!  I am trying to contact CyberLink, the
developer, and DirecTV to provide feedback for this product.  So far, I have
not found a direct contact or even a response!

I have some information posted at:
http://mysite.verizon.net/marangs/

I was hoping to get a crude working set of DirecTV scripts within a few days
and post them there.

Don Marang