[jaws-uk] Why I am not going to use JAWS

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:19:28 +0000

Hello all.
I will publicly state why I am refusing to use JAWS. It is Freedom Scientific's attitude towards pricing and their license schemes. Some of us can't or won't afford to buy JAWS, especially if the free one is just as good as JAWS. As for the license scheme, the user is punished to license JAWS on up to three machines. With the free and even other commercial screen readers one can install on as many computers as they have so long as one machine is used at a time, no questions asked. With JAWS, once all three authorizations have been used they would then have to request FS for more keys. Eventually and I will say eventually they will refuse flat and get paranoid about people sharing authorization keys. I understand piracy and all that and I certainly don't commit to any of that stuff however at the same time FS is just asking for money and not caring about the customer. True there is a dongle option, but even they can have their fair share of problems. Now for the technical, I do find the free one to be actually more stable and even works with more applications than JAWS. You may find this shocking but this is true according to my personal experience. On a positive note, I would like to publicly thank the guys at Sight and Sound. They have been really helpful in answering my JAWS queries, even though the suggestions may not be what I was looking for. It's better to have good communication rather than nothing at all. So thanks, and keep up the great works.
Take care.
--

Chris Hallsworth
You can contact me at the following channels: