[jaws-uk] Thoughts on captchas

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:17:31 -0000

Hi there,

I know that there's been some discussion of the issue of captchas on this
list in the past but I'm looking for your thoughts on alternatives that a
web designer might use.

I'm currently working with a software developer who is considering
introducing a captcha on their site but which, even with the audio
alternative, is really hard to use.  I'm sure that most folk will have
encountered these at some stage.

I fully understand the reasoning behind the desire to have these as an
additional security defence but personally hate them with a vengeance.
Having said that, my dislike of them isn't a particularly pro-active way of
helping the company achieve their desire for increased security but at the
same time wishing to make the site as accessible as possible.

My question...does anyone know of any commercially available accessible
captchas or similar security device that will satisfy both requirements?

I also think that some people have mentioned that Firefox has some features
that make captcha solving easier - if this is correct, what is it about
Firefox that makes this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

database 5963 (20110317) __________