[jaws-uk] Re: An old chestnut

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 17:52:57 +0100

Amie While I can accept that there may be companies making money out of the
need for access technology, people buy the product because they need it and
in the free market there is nothing to stop companies charging what they
want.  either put up with it or buy a different product.  if everyone bought
a different product then the screenreader manufacturers would have to find a
different model of selling screenreaders.

Rather than moaning about the situation we all need to be asking what can be
done to make computers accessible to all?

clearly this is quite a difficult question to answer.  there is the NVDA
screenreader and the screenreader built in to theapple IMac, Mini etc.

it is also worth noting that in the past there has not always been close
liaison between the commercial screenreader producers and those such as
microsoft writing the operating systems.  so I don't disagree with you that
things need to change.  the question is what needs to change and how do we
ensure that screen reader development continues in the future with
manufacturers continuing to make products more accessible?