[jaws-uk] Re: An old chestnut

  • From: Barry Toner <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:22:53 +0100

Guys,

The thing is...  It's not FS who are to blame here.  It's not any Adaptive Tech
company.  By all means, don't' buy JAWS.  Vote with your feet instead of
smacking your desks and complaining.  There's Window Eyes, NVDA, System Access
on the Windows platforms.  As others have said, wait to see what Microsoft has
to offer in Windows 8.

The fact is we live in a society where, we get Disability Living Allowance.
This is meant to cover extra costs associated with our individual disabilities.
 EG.  Buy a Screen Reader.  Two major factors are wrong with this.

1.  75% + of Vis are unemployed, and therefore it's used as an income
supplement.

2.  Some people don't prioritize their finances.

I've been looking for work for over 2 years.  I know what it's like falling on
hard times.  I've been there years ago on email lists complaining company X, Y
and Z arent' doing a good enough job.  There's a point where you have to make a
decision what you are going to do about it.  Select an alternative Adaptive
solution for Windows, or move platforms to Linux or Mac.  FS aren't going to
change their business base don what a handful of us complain about on here.  If
you think FS haven't listened to their customers up until now, (many do), what
good do you really think this thread is doing to change that?  I'll tell you,
not one single thing.

Regards,
Barry.