[iyonix-support] Re: problems with Internet and Iyonix

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:50:48 GMT

On 22 Feb 2007 Brian Ferris <brferris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Im using DialUp 4.32 and Messenger 4.24 on an Iyonix 5.12.
>
> Recently had the machine back from Iyonix as I had USB issues.
>
> Im finding ( and could be an ISP problem too ? ) that its been a hit
> an miss thing regarding connecting to the Internet with a dial up
> connection. ( no Broadband )
> On a random point Im finding when I connect to the ISP I then get an
> error saying
>  " couldnt resolve news.mail " and it says Im connected but infact
> when I try a webpage for example Im not.

DialUp is far less reliable than broadband, and offen suffers connection
drops or stalls where communications stop for no good reason.

> If I then hang up I dont get the ' click ' sound from the modem and
> then if shutdown the machine it hangs.
>
> Or it may take two or three attempts to connect and its fine.
>
> While still connected ,
> an error dialogue box will flash up with the ' red Hermes' logo and an
> error saying " Hermes: Your computer has a networking problem- please
> re-boot and try again "
>
> Or if I have been on the net for a while that error may come up again.
>
> Sometimes this happens once a day, or 5 times a day or even not for a
> few days. Its seem very random, but its annoying.
> The other error is a command line error which appears on the top of
> the screen.
>  " Internet module has suffered an unrecoverable error: rtfree (
> running foreground process ) "

However the above problems are all related to the internet stack problem
signified by that error, which is not specific to dialup, although it happens
at the same frequency for Hariett Bazley also on dialup, where as it happend
once in 4 years for me on broadband. That could suggest the failure is
provoked by higher latencies.

> I still have control of the desktop etc. I just shutdown and start
> again.

You might be able to avoid a shutdown by doing a *RMReinit Internet
although you will probably have to be offline for this to work.

Cheers
---Dave

  David J. Ruck    Phone: +44- (0)7974 108301    Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx