[iyonix-support] Re: external USB hard disk

  • From: Iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:37:18 +0200

In message <20070427063604.158710@xxxxxxx>
          "Jochen Konietzko" <JochenKonietzko@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a colleague just showed me an external 40 GB TrekStore hard disk (very neat -
> organizer sized, power via USB) which he uses mostly for backup purposes.
> For interest's sake, I plugged it into my Iyonix.
> Straight away a new hard disk icon appeared; the root directory was visible,
> but from then on hardly anything worked:
> -most files inside directories had no name or a completely garbled name,
> -most files could not be copied - DOS FS error
> -some files could not be copied - various error messages
> -one directory with lots of files caused the Iyonix to freeze when I opened
> it.
>
> Does this mean that external USB hard disks don't work at all on the
> Iyonix, or that just this one doesn't work, or... what?

Guess what:

The good old 2GB limit is still valid for DOSFS - it is a shame but it
is there.

Thus you can
- go for a smaller disc of max. 2GB (sorry, joking)
- format the disc for ADFS (thus not accessibly but from RISC OS)
- not use an USB disc but use a NAS system, i.e. a small network file
  server which then goes via Ethernet and has its own filing system and
  no limit

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.