[iyonix-support] Re: external USB hard disk

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:31:08 +0100

In message <d5dfa4dc4e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message of 2 May, "Jochen Konietzko" <JochenKonietzko@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Thanks for the answer; I bought a 120 MB Trekstore disk, formatted it
>> on Monday before work and started the backup at 8 a.m.
>>
>> This leads me to a question: Just how slow is the lack of speed you
>> mention in YOUR setup?
>>
>> On Monday afternoon the backup volume was just 8GB, so, Tuesday being
>> a public holiday in Germany, I simply left the backup running, and
>> when I returned to work this morning, the 40 GB on my internal hard
>> disk had just about been backed up - when I looked again a few minutes
>> ago it had finished.
>>
>> I am not quite sure, but I think when I squinted at the USB cable
>> connecting the drive to my Iyonix, I could see individual bytes
>> ambling leasurely along.
>>
>> Is this kind of "speed" to be expected?
>
> Just for a comparison, yesterday I installed a Firewire-linked disc
> under my Mac Mini and it took about two hours to backup 22 Gbytes.

According to !Speed, my Iyo's USB-2 interface will write data to a CF
digital camera card at rates ranging from 869KB (512KB block) through
467KB ((64KB block) down to 12KB for a IKB block size. So taking a
typical block size of 64KB and assuming a similar transfer rate, it
would theoretically take approx. 10 hours to write the contents of a
20GB drive. Reading the drive at approx. 15MB/sec (the !Speed figure
for a 64KB block is 15372KB on my system) would take an additional 22
mins. The Firewire interface in the Mac Mini would appear to be
roughly 5x faster therefore.

Now if some more knowledgeable soul should tell me I've put the
decimal point in the wrong place or committed another error of logic,
I shan't be surprised...

George