[iyonix-support] Re: external USB hard disk

  • From: Peter Dowson <p_dowson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:22:18 +0800

In article <20070427063604.158710@xxxxxxx>,
   Jochen Konietzko <JochenKonietzko@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

> a colleague just showed me an external 40 GB TrekStore hard disk (very
> neat - organizer sized, power via USB) which he uses mostly for backup
> purposes. For interest's sake, I plugged it into my Iyonix. Straight
> away a new hard disk icon appeared; the root directory was visible, but
> from then on hardly anything worked: -most files inside directories had
> no name or a completely garbled name, -most files could not be copied -
> DOS FS error -some files could not be copied - various error messages
> -one directory with lots of files caused the Iyonix to freeze when I
> opened it.

> Does this mean that external USB hard disks don't work at all on the
> Iyonix, or that just this one doesn't work, or... what?

I use a Vantec NextStar USB case to hold an IDE hard drive and then ran
SCSIForm to initialise the drive, it will slow down the boot time quite a
lot though. I then use SyncDiscs to make a copy of the main drive on a
regular bases, you will find it a lot slower than a second hard drive
other than the speed or lack of it works fine.