[iyonix-support] Re: New disc drives

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:00:49 +0100

In message <4ed9ba4d3cmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Having just bought a new (Seagate) 160Gb hard-disc for my son's PC, I was
> surprised to see that the traditional connections on the back are now quite
> different: the power connection consists of a row of fifteen connectors
> with a very thin plug, which strangely terminates in the usual 5 pin power
> connector. The data lines are similarly fine, 7 of them, the other end of
> which goes onto a similar male on the motherboard.
>
> My question is: if this is the new standard, will new Iyonix m/bs be
> equipped with the new connections? Perhaps this is not yet common, but it
> made me wonder what will happen if a hard-disc needs replacement in the
> future. Perhaps there is an adaptor ATA > Standard?

You have discovered SATA (Serial ATA).  It is rapidly replacing
the old parallel ATA on hard drives, and I recently saw the first
internal DVD drive with SATA interface.  In a couple of years, I
think SATA will account for over 90% of sales of all hard drives
and DVD drives intended for internal mounting.

Adaptors are available, both as PCI cards and PATA <> SATA.

Dave