[iyonix-support] Re: Vista

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:34:16 +0100

In message <4fbe204fa2lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a dim and distant universe <4fbe1bb5adriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
>> Vista/RISC  OS networking seems to be a sore point. Quite a few users
>> have tried but it seems fraught with problems. Have you tried Paul
>> Vigay's site - I believe he was going to write up some user notes about
>> this problem. I believe Paul managed to get this to work but involved
>> some nasty hacking of the registry. I'm sorry to be so negative.

> Unfortunately, it wasn't reliable enough to warrant adding to my site, as I
> thought it might get people's hopes up and then disappoint them with
> results.

> Basically, I could only succeed in transferring very small files (ie. less
> than about 10KB), as anything bigger than that would time out or result in
> a 0 byte length file.

[snip]

Well I have it working in a fashion.

Paul is correct in that it seems to time out but it does transfer
files in both directions but it takes a while and you do have to wait
and click on some error messages. I have transferred files up to 1MB.

It will only do this for files that are shared by all users and not if
you set it up to access individual accounts.

This is with Vista Home premium SP1.

I believe the issue may be that Vista an enhanced version of NTLMv2
with encryption and though it can be set to use the older LM or NTLM
protocols via Admin Tools the option is missing in Home versions and
only available in Business or Ultimate ones.

So if anyone has Business or ultimate versions it would be good to try

Administrative Tools>Local security Policy>Network Security: Lan
Manager authentication level> Change from "Send NTLMv2 response only
to Send LM & NTLM -use NTLMv2 version security if negotiated".

Doug

--
Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.13, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.