[iyonix-support] Re: Vista

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:14:09 +0100

In a dim and distant universe <4fbe1bb5adriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
> Vista/RISC  OS networking seems to be a sore point. Quite a few users
> have tried but it seems fraught with problems. Have you tried Paul
> Vigay's site - I believe he was going to write up some user notes about
> this problem. I believe Paul managed to get this to work but involved
> some nasty hacking of the registry. I'm sorry to be so negative.

Unfortunately, it wasn't reliable enough to warrant adding to my site, as I
thought it might get people's hopes up and then disappoint them with
results.

Basically, I could only succeed in transferring very small files (ie. less
than about 10KB), as anything bigger than that would time out or result in
a 0 byte length file.

Doing a bit of Googling revealed Apple Mac (and even some Windows users
trying to link to XP) users having the same problem, and from reading
various Windows forums etc., it looks like Vista still has problems with
networking.

I originally thought that waiting for SP1 for Vista may fix things, but
that didn't make any difference. :-(