[iyonix-support] Re: Panther keeps switching itself off

  • From: Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:40:38 +0000 (GMT)

On 14 Feb, Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu 14 Feb, Peter Dalziel wrote:

<snip>

> > > Hi Julie,
> > >

> > Damn webmail.
> >          As I was going to say, this sounds as though your harddrive isn't
> > getting up to speed because there is something wrong with the motor. This
> > will be drawing too much current from the PSU which is why it's powering
> > down. I suggest you try to get as much data off the harddrive and transfer
> > to a new one. Just one possible scenario.........

> The PSU should be able to cope with four or five times what a normal HDD
> draws, it sounds like something in the hard drive is shorting. All modern
> PSU's have short circuit protection.

> Only for the confident:
> To try and get your data back you could power the HDD seperately via your
> now spare PSU though you'd have to fool the PSU to power up (Connect green
> to earth on the PSU's 20way connector) The Iyonix might keep running whilst
> the other PSU is power cycled.

> p.s. The PSU we supplied could be faulty, do you have a spare HDD to try in
> the system. Even unformatted but loading the PSU could be informative.

> Chris Evans

Thanks for all your comments, people.

I looked through my goodies box and found two HDDs - from RISC PCs surplus
to requirements, and known good (at least last time I looked). One was from
my dad's Kinetic, which I now have with my original HDD, and the other from
my brother, who has defected to  Apple Mac ;-( .  I still have  the PSU I
replaced. So I will have a play over the w/e and seee what I can do. I also
note druck's comment and Chris's about earthing. (I've run into this one
before professionally, when some eejit connected my carefully-designed box
of tricks between two totally independent earth systems (don't ask), and
blew every fuse in sight. The box survived!)

I may well be on the phone to Chris on Monday..  :-(

Cheers
Julie

--
"We do not cease to play because we grow old. We grow old because we cease to
play." - GBS