[iyonix-support] Re: Panther keeps switching itself off

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:11:36 GMT

In message <531e62e786julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> I looked through my goodies box and found two HDDs - from RISC PCs surplus
> to requirements, and known good (at least last time I looked). One was from
> my dad's Kinetic, which I now have with my original HDD, and the other from
> my brother, who has defected to  Apple Mac ;-( .  I still have  the PSU I
> replaced. So I will have a play over the w/e and seee what I can do. I also
> note druck's comment and Chris's about earthing. (I've run into this one
> before professionally, when some eejit connected my carefully-designed box
> of tricks between two totally independent earth systems (don't ask), and
> blew every fuse in sight. The box survived!)

> I may well be on the phone to Chris on Monday..  :-(

> Cheers
> Julie

I'd suggest the following:

First, try the hard drives on a standalone PSU. When you power on I
think they will spin up, which you should be able to feel.

Then connect the a black wire on one PSU to a black on the internal
one - don't rely on the mains earth being connected to the 0 volt line
(or make sure that both are).

Connect one of the presumed working drives to the Kinetic and the
external PSU, power on the drive then the Kinetic and see what
happens. At the very least I would hope the kinetic will find a disc,
although it may not boot from it.

Then try the same with your "failed" disc.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx