[iyonix-support] Panther keeps switching itself off

  • From: Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:39:25 +0000 (GMT)

My Panther Iyonix 5.16 is poorly.

I normally leave it runnig continuously, sharing a monitor via a KVM switch,
with the whole equipment set inc printeer and router running off an 8-way
surge protected socket set. Last week I went to use the system, to discover
that the Panther was off - no front-panel or mouse light, no temp display,
and not responding to attempts to turn it on. I diagnosed a dead PSU,
ordered a fresh one from CJE, and installed it.

All went well for a couple of days. Then, a few days ago, it went off again,
and although I could get it to come back to life, this was only for a couple
of minutes, then a relay or something clicked and it went off again. As I
type I tried it again just now, and it went on for about a second; then
there was the same click like a relay operating, and it shut off.

We opened the case and tried disconnecting the drives, with no result until
we unplugged power to the hard drive. We could then power the machine up,
take it through to desktop, though it complained that it had not been able
to boot (no surprises there).

What might it be? Is the hard disc (or something else!) drawing too much
current? It's a bit tricky to put an ammeter in the loop, I don't have
suitable connectors to wire up, but no doubt I could find some.

At first I thought something might be overheating, but when I tried this
morning after a chilly night, it did not come on at all.

The PSU I bought was a 300W HEC-300AR-PTE-IY    , as recommended at CJE for the
Panther.

Cheers
Julie