[iyonix-support] Re: Panther keeps switching itself off

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:39:14 GMT

In message <CAL=gdoUGe7HdNtLsJ7oJ+7qh6cDq0PayrG8XVoteFTkpCmCjQQ@mail.g
mail.com>
          Peter Dalziel <peterdalziel1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14 February 2013 13:16, Peter Dalziel <peterdalziel1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 14 February 2013 10:39, Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> The PSU I bought was a 300W HEC-300AR-PTE-IY    , as recommended at CJE
>>> for the
>>> Panther.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Julie
>>>
>>> ---
>>> To alter your preferences or leave the group,
>>> visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support
>>> Other info via //www.freelists.org/webpage/iyonix-support
>>> List-related queries to iyonix-support-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>

>> Hi Julie,
>>

> Damn webmail.
>          As I was going to say, this sounds as though your harddrive isn't
> getting up to speed because there is something wrong with the motor. This
> will be drawing too much current from the PSU which is why it's powering
> down. I suggest you try to get as much data off the harddrive and transfer
> to a new one. Just one possible scenario.........

> Regards,

> Peter Dalziel.

You could use the old PSU (which probably isn't faulty) to power the
hard drive, while powring the rest of the system from the new one.
Power the drive up first.

To get an ATX-type power supply to run when not connected to the
motherboard, you need a jumper between two of the sockets on the main
connector.

Wikipedia shows the layout of the 24-pin connector. The Panther usess
a 20-pin, which is the same but omits 11,12,23,24, i.e. the bottom 4
pins on the diagram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
and more detail at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

A jumper between the adjacent holes 15 and 16, or 16 and 17 works. The
wires are black and green.

Using the separate PSU should prevent the Panther from shutting down
when the disc overloads the PSU. Whether the disc will run at all is
another question.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx