[iyonix-support] Networking Iyonix and A3010

  • From: Terje Slettebø <tslettebo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:47:54 +0200

Hi.

I've got an Iyonix and an A3010 with an Ethernet card, and I'd like to
network them together, preferably so that I also can be connected to the
Internet. Furthermore, I have a switch between the Iyonix and the router,
and using the Iyonix on the Internet works just fine.

However, I have next to no knowledge about linking Acorn/RISC OS computers
together, so I have a few questions I'd be grateful for answers or pointers
to (the Welcome Guide doesn't cover them, and neither does the PRM, from
what I've found, anway, as they may well have been developed after the
PRMs):

In the Iyonix Boot application, under Network, there are listed three kinds
of networks:

- Acorn Universal Networking. Could anyone tell me what this is, and if it's
used anymore?
- Access+. When I got the Ethernet card for the A3010, it included a floppy
disc with Access+, so I figure this may be an option for networking them.
- Internet.

1. Is it possible to network the Iyonix and the A3010, and still be
connected to the Internet, and if so, how?

2. Which protocol should I go for doing this: Access+ or Internet (TCP/IP),
both, or something else?

3. I' appreciate a step-by-step guide for linking the Iyonix and A3010
together, as the Internet access part isn't that important, compared to this
linking (I could always switch back and forth between network types).

So far, I've managed to do the following: I've connected both the Iyonix and
A3010 to the switch, using standard Ethernet plugs. On the Iyonix, I've gone
to the Network configuration and enabled Access. After rebooting, I've
turned on "Share unprotected" from the hard disc menu. When clicking on
"Discs", I see that the hard disk is shared.

That's as far as I've got, basically. When right-clicking "Discs" (ShareFS),
there's an option for logging on Access+, but I have no username and
password, and I don't know where to find or set them.

On the A3010, there's the same "Discs" (ShareFS) device, but the same
problem is there: What username/password to use?

I'd also appreciate a minimum primer on what ShareFS and Access+ actually
is.

Regards,

Terje