[iyonix-support] Re: Mouse pointer colour

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:14:11 +0200

In message <c32f2f104f.ewen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ewen Pring <ewen.pring@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <384b25104f.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> sent on 10 Aug
>           Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <573b20104f.ewen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>>
>>> So the question is now- how can I save a desktop palette file
>>
>> I do not know whether this helps. It is a RiscLua program for saving
>> the desktop palette to a file (with name given by the first command
>> line parameter, if there is one, or to a palette file called "Palette"
>> in the same directory as the program, otherwise).

>> This method, using OS_Word 11, is deprecated. It would probably be
>> better to use ColourTrans_ReadPalette (SWI &4075C) (see PRM 5a).

> I have run the Lua script given here on the Iyonix and on RISC OS 4
> via VRPC, it created a Palette file each time. When the palette file
> is double clicked on the same computer types, it says 'the window
> manager does not understand this type of palette file' in both cases.

This is not surprising. The desktop palette only has 16 logical
colours (irrespective of the screen colour depth). A desktop palette
file defines those plus the three mouse colours and the border colour,
so it only has 20 VDU 19 sequences. The above LUA code created a file
defining 256 logical colours, which is not suitable as a desktop
palette file. The whole issue is not Iyonix-specific though, the
mechanism is the same on all versions of RISC OS.

Martin