[iyonix-support] Re: Mouse pointer colour

  • From: Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:13:19 +0100

In message <a3ccb60f4f.ewen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ewen Pring <ewen.pring@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there a way or application to change the colour of the desktop
> mouse pointer from its default 2-tone blue? A user has trouble
> finding the cursor on screen as it blends in with greys for them.
> This should preferably remain permanent, i.e. not be affected by
> starting desktop apps.

Frank Hertel's Palette program
<URL:http://www.sparse.net/csa.html#palette> will allow you to change
the WIMP palette (16 + special colours for the mouse) to save a
palette file (type &FED). You can then put this to be run somewhere
during the Boot sequence (I have mine in <Boot$ToBeLoaded>.SetColours
(!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.SetColours)).

Frank Hertel's program is useful for RISC OS => 3.5 as there is no
built-in Palette utility for these later machines. However, and noting
that this is the iyonix-support list, it is not 32-bit compatible. If
the user or someone else who can work with them to find the most
appropriate colours has access to Aemulor or a Risc PC/VRPC/RPCEmu [1]
they could run Palette and save out the file for this user which can
then be used on their computer.

Alternatively, the built-in Palette utility for RISC OS < 3.5 would
allow one to save out a suitable palette so access to an earlier
machine or Arculator [1] /Red Squirrel [1] /VA5000 or even Jan
de Boer's <URL:http://home.tiscali.nl/~jandboer/> A310Emu [1].

[1] Given suitable ROM images.
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>       OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.