[iyonix-support] Re: Fatal Flaw in ROM513?

  • From: Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:45:14 GMT
On 25 Feb 2007, John Ballance wrote:
> Morning Roger
>

> Roger Darlington wrote:
>> Twice since upgrading, (and never before) I have had total computer
>> crashes using ROM513.
>>
>> I am using MessPro (4.23) and OvPro (2.77) at the same time. All of a
>> sudden, and without any warning whatsoever, the computer totally
>> freezes. Even the mouse pointer disappears! Squares cannot be drawn on
>> the pinboard.
>>
>> Alt_Break has no effect whatsoever.
>
> this suggests you may be running other software that is customised.
>
> Please return your machine as far as possible to standard.. i.e. not
> overloading it with 3rd party software, and confirm whether the
> behaviour is different.
>
> John

The total system freeze appears to happen at the moment of initiating
a save operation.

For the first time ever, I have just had MessPro sitting on the icon
bar after running it and it refusing to sort itself out into a running
program claiming that the NewsRCfile was incomplete. This behaviour of
MessPro followed a crash of the sort described above: total system
freeze.

I had a look, and found that the backup 'NewsRCfile~' was 64k, whilst
the corresponding real 'NewsRCfile' was just 4k! I sorted it out.

On other occasions, the crash seemed to happen during a save in OvPro.
In all cases, the save operation failed, leaving just the older
version which was intact, despite the newer version having the same
filename. So, it looks like it doesn't even start to save the file to
disc before freezing.

--

Cheers
Roger

Bury Walkers      http://burywalkers.members.beeb.net/
Atomic Software   http://rogerdarlington.members.beeb.net/
Summer Winers     http://rogerarm.freeuk.com/rogerarm/
Bury Hut          http://buryhut.members.beeb.net/
Wild Flowers      http://rdarlington.members.beeb.net/
"An invisibility cloak that works at optical wavelengths is nowhere in
sight"