[iyonix-support] Re: Fatal Flaw in ROM513?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:41:31 +0100

In message <4d55c97b4e38ae19bb4e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2007, John Ballance wrote:
>
>> Roger Darlington wrote:
>>> Twice since upgrading, (and never before) I have had total computer
>>> crashes using ROM513.
>>>
>>> I am using MessPro (4.23) and OvPro (2.77) at the same time. All of a
>>> sudden, and without any warning whatsoever, the computer totally
>>> freezes. [...]
>>
>> this suggests you may be running other software that is customised.
>>
>> Please return your machine as far as possible to standard.. i.e. not
>> overloading it with 3rd party software, and confirm whether the
>> behaviour is different.
>
> The total system freeze appears to happen at the moment of initiating
> a save operation.

Yes, I have seen that problem, too - many months if not years ago, so
whatever causes this problem RISC OS 5.13 is not to blame. Every now
and then saving an e-mail in MPro caused a total freeze. The problem
has gone away at some stage and it was never established what caused
it. Basically, any significant system change (e.g., installing a new
module in your boot sequence) causes memory locations to change, so
the effects of a bug in some piece of software could change from
harmless to a system freeze. Obviously, installing a new version of
the OS is a big change.

Martin