[iyonix-support] Re: 5.13 directory access details

  • From: davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:45:05 +0000

Quoting Richard Torrens <Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx>:

> In article <45E0B2F7.70206@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>    John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The access menu details are ONLY initialised if a single file is
> > selected.. multiple files or directories cause it to come up
> > uninitialised .. for logical reasons
>
> > John
>
> Seems more logical to me to have the details set to those of the first
> file in the selection.

Good grief, that would be mightily confusing.  Which would you define
to be the first?

JWB is right about the logical reasons.  If we drag a directory to
another directory viewer, we expect the entire contents of the directory
to be copied; certainly not just the directory itself (unless the
directory is empty, of course).  So we mostly expect that "a directory"
really means and refers to a collection of objects.

I would expect the permissions to either:

1) not be filled in; or

2) be filled in in black if /all/ the objects in the directory
have the same permissions, otherwise be filled in in grey.
That's like Doze does it.  It's also far more complicated to do
- and it will take longer to fill in the permissions; it won't
be instant like now.

I'll vote for (1).

Dave