[iyonix-support] Re: E.U. Banning sales of Iyonix

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:42:01 +0100

In message <4e539a891ctim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Though I would perhaps express my :-D at the fuss engendered because
> castle have to use a different kind of solder on their motherboards.

(Warning - some of the below is pure speculation!)

But, as I understand it, the new regulations not only require different
solder to be used to attach components to the pcb (which, in itself,
may(?) require changes to board layout because of the different
characteristics of the solder), but also control materials used in
production of the components.  Some components, which have low
production volume, or are nearing the end of production life, may not be
adapted to meet the new legislation.  It is, therefore, quite possible
that some of the components used in the Iyonix may become obsolete, and
any exisiting stock would become banned.

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx