[iyonix-support] Re: E.U. Banning sales of Iyonix

  • From: davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:28:41 +0100

Quoting Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In message <4e539a891ctim@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Though I would perhaps express my :-D at the fuss engendered because
> > castle have to use a different kind of solder on their motherboards.
>
> (Warning - some of the below is pure speculation!)
>
> But, as I understand it, the new regulations not only require different
> solder to be used to attach components to the pcb (which, in itself,
> may(?) require changes to board layout because of the different
> characteristics of the solder),

I've never heard of change being required for that reason.

> but also control materials used in
> production of the components.  Some components, which have low
> production volume, or are nearing the end of production life, may not be
> adapted to meet the new legislation.  It is, therefore, quite possible
> that some of the components used in the Iyonix may become obsolete, and
> any exisiting stock would become banned.

I talked to JB a few days ago about this very topic (among others).
The only component that has ceased to be available in an RoHS compliant
version is still available RoHS compliant in a different package,
which will require a minor re-spin of the PCB.

Dave