[iyonix-support] Re: E.U. Banning sales of Iyonix

  • From: Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:55:57 +0100

On 09 Aug, Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <3ede53534e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David J. Ruck
> <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > 1) The reply you type should be after the previous message(s) text, or
> >    interleaved with it. Not at the top, which is the default for some
> >    PC software such as Outlook and Outlook Express

> The default for Pluto, too, is to place the cursor at the top of the
> reply. Where's the fix for that?

The big difference is that Outlook inserts the signature content (without a
separator) above the previous material and places the cursor above that.

All versions I've seen to date ignore any attempt to select text for
inclusion in the reply and include everything thus leaving you to remove
the extraneous material after starting the composition of the reply.
Before or after moving the signature is up to the user and adding a correct
separator can be a pain as the unfixed versions strip the required space
from the end of the line.
Hence the existence of Quotefix which goes some way to addressing the
flaws.

> [Snip]

> > 3) Make sure all your lines are less than 76 characters wide,

> Unlike David's line which read "incase you are new to the Iyonix-Support
> mailing list, there are three little" which was over 76 characters.

> It also contained a spelling mistake and missed capitalization. Two
> things I, for one, find as disconcerting as the errors alluded to.

Strange that, one of my work colleagues does the same sort of thing - he's
dyslexic.

> [Snip]

> Rather than post these guidelines from time to time, as newbies join the
> group, is it possible please for this helpful advice to be placed on a
> web site somewhere and a polite note being sent to them by direct email
> rather than clutter up the group with irrelevances which I know I have
> compounded and for that I apologise unreservedly.

http://rfc.net/rfc1855.html
(There are more friendly descriptions about)

Covers various forms of communication including email and news.
Recommends summarising previous material at the *top* and then putting in
the reply (i.e. bottom posting) or including only enough material to set
the context of the reply.

--

Steve Pampling