[iyonix-support] Re: Digital Switchover and TV Card

  • From: Robin Hounsome <robin.hounsome@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:02:42 +0100

In article <4C73C942.9090107@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23/08/2010 21:53, Robin Hounsome wrote:
> > If it's the SAA7134 version of the TV card you've got, it will allow
> > you to view in widescreen.

> On RISC OS?

Yes

I guess you've got a card with the BT878 chip, the software for which I
don't think will do anamorphic 16:9

However the software I wrote for the TV card fitted with the SAA7134 chip
has had the ability to display anamorphic 16:9 since Oct 2006 when I
released version 0.11 of Remote www.hounsome.org.uk/remote/

> For analogue reception it needs to be able to lose the top and bottom
> bars on a 16:9 broadcast (automatically using the signal from the tuner
> if possible).

For a broadcast analogue signal not easily possible. I did play around
with using the line 23 WSS broadcast by Channel 4 but as (at the time) no
other UK broadcaster used it, it was a bit of a non-starter

> For digital input, it needs to be able to selectively stretch the
> picture horizontally so anamorphic 16:9 is shown at the correct aspect
> ratio.

That's what my software does. It's not automatic, as there's no way to
detect if the signal is 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 over a comp or S-video
connection so the user needs to select 4:3 / 16:9 as required

> I'm unaware of any card which does that automatically in hardware, it
> needs software support which isn't available on RISC OS. !PCiTV only
> displays 4:3 regardless of the input, unless there is an update I don't
> know about.

Not so much an update, more of an alternative ;-)

Robin

--
Remote - http://www.hounsome.org.uk
TV display software for the Iyonix