[iyonix-support] Re: CompactFlash as hard disc replacement

  • From: David Thomas <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:17:54 +0100

C.N.L. France. wrote:

My CF read/write on the Iyonix is via slots built into the floppy drive. I
realise that this is a USB source since the icons become 'overwritten' when
an external multicard reader is plugged into the usual USB socket.
I didn't know that cf2ide devices existed until I saw this thread.
How do you intend to access the CF card?

It plugs into the IDE interface and acts as a regular hard disc, so is accessed through ADFS, formatted using HForm, etc.

Is it your intention to be able to
replace CF's or will you be leaving the kit inside the case?
I note the apparent redundant space above the floppy drive.

The intention is to keep a single CF card inside the case permanently. You can get adaptors which let you insert your card into an expansion card slot on the rear of the case. These mean you don't have to open the case up to change cards, but you still can't 'hot swap' the cards as you can with USB.

Regards,
Dave

--
David Thomas  dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.davespace.co.uk/