[iyonix-support] Re: CompactFlash as hard disc replacement

  • From: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:23:17 +0200

In message <4fc1d217b7tim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <48824166.6090307@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Thomas
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,

>> Has anyone had any luck replacing or supplementing the Iyonix HDD with
>> a CompactFlash storage device plugged in via IDE?

>> I've got an adaptor here and have tried two separate 4GB CF cards, of
>> different makes, both without success. In both cases I get "Disc error
>> 23 at :6/00000C00".

> RISC OS can't handle read/write access to disc images > 2GB.

> Try with a smaller device.

That must not be the problem. I have done this some while ago with an
A7000+ and as far as I recall I first put a 4GB CF card in via the
adapter as HD5 and then formatted it to RISC OS. After that I put the
boot files on it, changed to HD4 and it booted allright.

As I say, some while ago.... and the CF cards was long ago formatted
to FAT again.

It might be the adapter that troubles you. I bought mine via e-bay and
it cost me some 15 eurocents plus over 5 euro's for posting, somewhere
in Asia.

good luck with it

Ike