[iyonix-support] Re: Changing Time and Date

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:30:10 +0000 (GMT)

In article <0fc5bd834f.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick
Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4f839bb607riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>        <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <279f26834f.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter
> > Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On 20 Mar 2008  Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > Thanks a lot for getting back to me on this one Peter - much
> > appreciated. A gremlin has crept into the FAQ - NetTime should be
> > placed in !System.Modules.Network not !System.500.Modules.Network

> No it shouldn't. The use of !System.Modules is deprecated, and had
> been for many years.

I wish to apologise for giving out incorrect information on this -
I've now dragged NetTime back to System.500.Modules.Network from
System.Modules.Network. When I tried this before and tested by setting
an erroneous time NetTime didn't change it but it does now. Perhaps it
was late at night and I was not with it :-(

> When executing an "RMLoad System:Modules.Network.NetTime", the
> system decodes "System:" as <System$Path>, which will translate (on
> an Iyonix) to

>Sys:500.,Sys:400.,Sys:350.,Sys:310.,<harddisc>.$.!boot.Resources.!System.

> Note that Sys: itself refers to
> <harddisc>.$.!boot.Resources.!System.

> Hence, the OS will look !Boot.Resource.!System.500.Modules.Network
> for NetTime. If it can't find it there is will check
> System.400...., then System.350, then System.310 and only if it
> can't find it in any of those will it look in System.Modules itself.

> The point of all this complexity is that it allows different
> versions of the module to be used on different versions of RISC OS.
> On my RO4.02 machine, System$path does not include Sys:500, but
> starts at Sys:400. Hence, if RO5 needs a different version of
> NetTime to RO4 and below, and a standard new boot machine, there
> will be one version in Sys:310 (which will be used for everything
> up to & including Select) and one in Sys:500 (for RO5 - i.e.
> Iyonix).

Excellent explanation.

> Now, it so happens that NetTime only works on RO 5. Hence, it
> should go in System.500.Modules, not in any of the others.

Done and working correctly.

Best regards

Richard