[iyonix-support] Re: "CD-ROM drive not found"

  • From: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:32:59 +1200

You wrote:

> A Rawnsley  wrote on 23 Sep:
> > Start by F12 and then *CDFS    then   *CDDEVICES I'll assume this will
> > come up with no devices found.
>
> True.
>
> > If CDFSsoftATAPI is active, that should detect IDE CD/DVD drives
> > automatically, and no other modules should be needed except CDFS itself
> > and CDFSfiler (which are both active from what you've said).
>
> True.
>
> > Can't recall off the top of my head if they're in OS5, but CDFSdriver
> > and CDFSresources should probably both be active too:
> >      *RMreinit CDFSdriver
> >      *RMreinit CDFSresources
>
> CDFSdriver is active (without need for reinit). CDFSresources I do not
> have.  It exists on my RiscPC downstairs (4.39), but not on this Iyonix
> (5.18).
>
> Physical cables look OK.  The jumpers (if any) on all drives (two
> harddrives, 1 CD) are as they were when I purchased the Iyonix from Castle
> -- I have never had need to fiddle with them.
>
> Will try the drive in another machine if necessary.
>
> Hmm, A couple of weeks ago I added an IDE-to-Compactflash adapter to that
> same chain of ribbon cable that serves the harddrives and CD drive.  Could
> that somehow have caused the CD to go invisible?  Will remove it and
> report back.

Could have done. You haven't managed to connect 3 devices to a cable have
you?

Each cable can support 1 or 2 devices. If one, then it must be master. If
two, then one must be master and the other slave.

Does the new adapter have a jumber to change the setting? If not, it is
probably master, so the (1) other drive on the cable must be a slave.