[iyonix-support] Re: "CD-ROM drive not found"

  • From: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:57:08 +1200

You wrote:

> On 23/09/2012 20:12, charles wrote:
> > In article <4dc1d5d352.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >     Jim Nagel <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I asked this in c.s.a.misc but drew a blank there.  Maybe somebody on
> > > this list knows the solution. My Iyonix has one CD drive showing on
> > > the iconbar and a disc is in the drive (LED lit up when I inserted
> > > it).  Clicking the iconbar produces:
> >>       Message from CDFS Filer
> >>       CD-ROM drive not found
> > > The commands *modules and *rommodules show several items called
> > > CDFSxxx.  None of them are dormant and nothing is unplugged. Among the
> > > active modules is CDFSsoftATAPI, which was the key to the same "not
> > > found" situation on the RiscPC (where this module was unplugged), but
> > > that isn't the magic bullet here on the Iyonix. Any advice, please?
> > as I said on the other list. "in my case it was a faulty drive.2
> >
> That is also what I'd expect .. if uncertain, why not try the drive on
> another platform. If it works there, then ok.. if it doesn't, then point
> proved.
>
> John

I think you would get these symptoms if the drive wasn't connected to the
motherboard correctly. The light will flash when youput a disc in if the
power is connected - it doesn't require the data connection for that.

Have you checked the master/slave setting? If it is on its own cable it must
be master. If it shares a cable one drive must be master and the other
slave. In the latter case, sometimes swapping them can help - some pairs of
drives won't work with one of the units as master.

Is the ribbon cable the right way round at both ends? Usually they are
keyed, but I have seen some that are not.