[iyonix-support] Re: CD-ROM drive not found

  • From: "Gary Locock" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:49:40 -0000

In article <40d128a64e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <with some re-arrangement to sort get rid of the top-posting)

> In message of 16 Jan, "Jochen Konietzko" <JochenKonietzko@xxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > > I don't use CDs a lot. But now when I try to, both drives give an
error
> > > when I click on the Icon:   CD-ROM drive not found

[Snip]

> > My Iyonix (early model) has never recognised the CD drive right after
> > switching on. After a soft reset it works.

> Well, I never!  I had quite come to the conclusion that my DVD-drive,
> also in an early Iyonix, was totally u/s.  But, do a reset and it
> magically appears.  Thanks.

[Snip]

No idea why a reset makes the difference, but it often does. I have found
the
solution to exactly your symptoms is rearranging the jumpers on the ATA
devices.  Often making a slave into master and vice versa will do the trick.
If you only have the standard two devices, you could also try making them
both masters on different buses (you will need an extra cable for this,
obviously)

Trial and error is needed, and the final result may be unexpected; ISTR that
I had to make a CDDrive master in one case, and a Syquest HD the slave,
which
isn't supposed to be correct, but it works!  (Note that you do, of course,
still have to have one as master and one as slave when 2 devices are on one
bus.)

HTH

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU