[isapros] Re: ..and the noise increases...

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:18:00 -0300

My 02c

1. More secure.
2. Same diff.

-----Original Message-----
From: isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isapros-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Thor (Hammer of God)
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:08 PM
To: isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isapros] Re: ..and the noise increases...

Totally agree then -- while it certainly does not increase security my
merit of its own existence, neither can one claim that it inherently
decreases security unless you point to specific issues created by or
solved by virtual environments.

There certainly are benefits of VM's when it comes to security, but like
everything else, you have to create the posture using the available
resources.

Interesting questions to answer regarding virtualization then:
1) Given a single machine, would you consider multiple VM's each with
individual host hardening and service configurations of a DC, Exchange,
SQL, and IIS to be more or less secure than an SBS-style installation on
the same single physical box?
2) Now let's through ISA in the mix... Still, on a single machine, which
would be more secure?  A private network with ISA virtualized or one
without it at all in a single-box behind a NAT router?

In both cases, I'd have to say the virtualization contributes to
security.  That being said, personally I would consider the risk of ISA
in a virtual environment too great for the cost consideration of a
different, separate hardware box given the ability of ESX to bypass
local stack IP access in vm-to-vm memory models in the same host.  That
out-of-stack communication could very well be all it takes to own you.

It also depends on who is accessing the vm's, their level of access, and
the security boundaries you have in place.  Let's say I had an
environment where I had to give someone admin access to a machine--
would I do that in VM where the host machine's security posture dictated
that that user could not gain access?  No- because an admin user may be
able to hijack communications between the host and the VM.  That's where
a separate physical machine would come into play.  But then again, if I
tightly controlled each separate physical machine, then VM's on them
might actually make me more secure overall given the security-in-depth
controls I could have.  All in all, I believe that when properly
deployed, virtualized environments can provide increased security
postures.  Just don't go into it thinking it is a panacea, just you
wouldn't create a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 thinking it could multiply
850 by 77.1 :-D

VM
> vis a vis dedicated hardware. Just moving the workload from one
> "hardware" infrastructure to another doesn't make it de facto secure.
>
> Yes, I took on the project to show examples of how virtualization can
> actually be part of a secure infrastructure and hopefully disabuse
> people from the idea that virtualization, in and of itself, increases
> security and how in many cases decreases security.
>
> So, I think we agree here :)
>
> Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
> Site: www.isaserver.org
> Blog: http://blogs.isaserver.org/shinder/