[isapros] Re: ..and the noise increases...

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:22:20 -0700

Not to start something none of us can finish, but where are you seeing
anyone declaring virtualization to be a security solution?  It's a
deployment solution, just like Windows and Linux are "deployment"
solutions.  Just another operating system that's, well, operating
systems.  Security lives above and below any deployment solution where's
it always been -- before everyone goes nuts regarding what Microsoft
will or won't support, let's make sure we're all talking about the same
thing.

And regarding what MSFT does and doesn't support, it has far less to do
with the products than it does the people they are hiring to support
those products.

I've
> been using Vmware since it's pre 1.0 days.
>
> The problem is that people think it's a miracle cure all for all the
> problems they've had (which is amazing, because even when I first
> starting using VMs, I never considered it anything other than a useful
> test tool and server consolidation solution). But somehow people think
> it's a "security solution" which it truly ain't, except for some very
> specific scenarios, such as offshoring a network and PC
infrastructure.