Re: IP Addresses on DMZ

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:26:27 -0700

Ok, now that's a new question:
1. Security risks posed by having web / E2K servers inside out of the rain:
_If_ someone were to get past the ISA and infect the web or E2K servers,
they _might_ be able to gain access to the rest of your internal network.
They might also fix you eggs and ham for breakfast, but the odds are about
even there.  Seriously, that's the whole point of ISA; to help keep the bad
guys out.  Properly configured, it does a mighty fine job. I, for one, have
no fear of the code red worm, because my ISA's drop the buffer overflow
request before it even gets to my web servers.
2. DMZ security:  the DMZ offers security by isolation; the separation of
the trusted network from those servers that must be accessible from the
Internet.  Since E2K requires direct AD access and that's a huge hole in
your firewall between the LAT and the DMZ, there's little to be gained by
placing an E2K server there.  Also, the web server is better protected by
being in the LAT, since the web proxy is now available for application-level
filtering of web traffic.
3. IP assignment: By using web publishing, you can publish a cubic grunch of
web servers using one IP address and keep all the traffic logged
individually by client.  This means that you only need to assign an IP for
each identical non-web protocol (more than one SMTP publishing, for
instance).  This helps to reduce your IP-per-site requirements so many
admins are used to creating.

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG