Re: IP Addresses on DMZ

  • From: "Hugo Caye" <Hugo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:49:20 -0300

Usually a DMZ is used to be sure that hosts in that subnetwork cannot start new
connections to outside world. Obviously that there are some exceptions, like
SMTP. For example, is it necessary that the Web server that sits on the DMZ
opening new tcp/80 connections to Internet? It seems that the Code Red worm
should never spread if so simple cautions were deployed.

"Good" hackers know the bugs and exploits at least 10 to 15 days in advance.
It's quite impossible to maintain a system 100% updated.

This simple practice (using a DMZ) avoids this type of attacks. Either if an
external host compromise your host, they cannot be used to start attacks to
others, spreading the malicious code.

This restrictive policy applied to DMZ cannot be used to internal hosts (fw
clients), where you let open a great variety of services from the inside
network to outside.