FWC Client and Network within a Network

  • From: "Peter" <pladd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:43:08 -0600

I know this question has been discussed in the past but I am concerned
about whether or not I should install the FWC on all of my User
Workstations or not.  Any help would be greatly appreicated.

SITE 1:  ISA Server 2004, Ext Interface Connected to "Internet" Router.
Internal Interface connected to 192.168.10.x subnet that has a PPP
connection  via a second router to SITE 2 and SITE 3.  All Servers (mail,
web, domain et al local to site 1.

SITE 2:  Connected to Site 1 and Site 3 via PPP.  Local subnet
192.168.20.x.  No direct connection to the Internet.

SITE 3:  Connect to Site 1 and Site 2 via PPP.  Local subnet 192.168.25.x.
 No direct connection to the Internet.

SITE 2 and SITE 3 connect to the Internet via the ISA Server on SITE 1.

Question:  Should I install the FIREWALL Client on all Desktops at EACH
SITE.  In Tom's book there are references to using both the Secure NAT and
the FWC on the remote subnets.  I am confused by this.  Also, I reply by
Thor (grealy appreciated btw) references installing the FWC on the
Desktops at the Remote sites but using their local router as the DGW.

Ideally, I want to install the FWC on ALL Computers, including the
Exchange Servers, DNS, and DC for the added secure communications.  But I
am not sure if I should do this.  I have a lab setup but it is a single
subnet lab.  Thus, I don't have the equipment to truly test this.

If I install the FWC on the desktops of the remote Clients and Servers,
should I then put their local router as their DGW?

Thank you for any commnets.

PS-  I really like this board.  I have been reading it daily since I
discovered it.  thakns for all the posts.