RE: FWC Client and Network within a Network

  • From: "David Haam" <DavidH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:55:59 -0700

Actually, even for the machines on the ISA's internal interface subnet,
the hosts don't NECESSARILY have to have the ISA as their default
gateway. Alternately, if your routing infrastructure is such that any
egress out to the internet (and other DMZs through ISA) get to the ISA's
internal interface, you're fine.

Depending on the routing capabilities on the particular network, I've
done both having the routers be the default gateway with the appropriate
routes being sent over to the ISA as the "next hop" and with the ISA
designated as the default gateway with routes to the other internal
segments sent to the internal routing engine as the "next hop" to
accomplish what Peter is looking at.

Please note when I say "router" I'm talking about any device that can
provide TCP/IP routing (could be a layer-3 switch).