RE: FWC Client and Network within a Network

  • From: "Peter" <pladd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:22:29 -0600

I really don't understand how multiple interfaces on the ISA has ANYTHING
to do with the fact that I have 3 subnets connected to each other over
PPP; one that is directly connected to the ISA server via its "Internal"
NIC and the other two that can be reached via a Router that is NOT the ISA
server.

Again, the only physical interface on the ISA server that is directly
connected to the ISA server is the 192.168.10.x that is connected to SITE
1.  In order for the ISA server or any other host on the 192.18.10.x
Subnet to connect to SITE 2 or SITE 3 is via the local PPP Router that
connects to the PPP Routers at the other two sites. THE ONLY ROUTE THAT
THE ISA SERVER HAS TO SITE 2 AND SITE 3 IS VIA THE PPP ROUTER.  THIS ROUTE
IS SEPARATE FROM THE INTERNET ROUTER.

Thus, additional interfaces on the ISA are irrelavent.  Again, my question
is does one still load the FWC client on the hosts at the remote site?
And does one enter the PPP Router on the remote sites as the Default
Gateway for the hosts located on those sites?

The reason I asked is that someone on a forum wrote that on the remote
sites, I should use SecureNat instead of the FWC.  If this is the case,
the the ISA Server must have either been designed to have an ISA Server on
each subnet, or was designed to for a flat network.  In these cases, I
will go back to PIX.

Thanks for any info you can lend.