Code Name Stingray ISA 2004

  • From: Glenn Maks <gmaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:31:40 -0500

Good Morning and Happy New Year to you and your family Tom - Thank U for
responding to my inquiry regarding the use of RRAS with ISA 2004. I guess I
must be the exception, because of dollar constraints I was forced to build
my ISA 2000 server on a old Dell PowerEdge 2300 with dual PII 400 processors
and 512 Meg of RAM, I had to also use this box for my RRAS VPN gateway to
gateway to connect all my branch offices. I was very pleased with the
performance of ISA and the ease of configuring, it was RRAS that killed the
project, it simply was not reliable, I would come in each morning not
knowing if any of my links were up or down, I had to constantly monitor it
and when it did break, it seemed so temperamental when I initiated a
reconnect, I had to many times down grade my L2TP to PPTP just to get to
connect and even then it was not a given that it would. Like I mentioned
earlier, I ran several traces to make sure the correct information was being
passed during the tunnel setup, all seemed correct, but to wait many minutes
in most cases up to 5 minutes or more until all end to end negotiations are
complete seems a bit unreasonable, especially when the VPN link is so
critical to daily business operations, I was forced to abandon RRAS. So I
was hoping ISA 2004 would employ a different VPN architecture, something
different from a Dialup Persistent approach. I will wait to see if I can get
my hands on a beta copy in the next month or 2, if you have any suggestions
on how I could get a beta copy please pass this along.
Thank you to everyone in the discussion group and have a very happy and safe
new year
Glenn