[IrelandVIPNews] Re: FREE TRAVEL PASS

  • From: Rosaleen Dempsey <rdempsey79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irelandvipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:25:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi Tom

  You are right. An all-Ireland travel pass is long overdue. We're all part of
the EU after all. I have one main grievance with the Northern SmartPass. If you
are registered blind you get free travel but if you are registered partially
sighted you have to pay half-price. This is crazy since you are unable to drive
either way. It isn't set to change anytime soon either as far as I know.

  Rosaleen

"O'Neill, Tom" <toneill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi
A few small observations
1. Agree that our address on it can be a mistake but on the other hand if
like myself you lost your pass someone picked it up and posted it to me.
Thank you kind Sir-Madam

2. As I represent guide dog owners on Irish Rail's disability users group no
mention ever has been made of an All Ireland Travel pass. Next meeting 29th
of June and I will raise the matter and Joe Bollard who represents NCBI on
this group please remind me to do this.
3. There are no plans by Dept of Social Community and Family Affairs to
update the current travel pass due to the "huge cost involved" their words
not mine.

Tom