[PCB_FORUM] Re: thermal flash for a slot padstack

  • From: "Jim Wages" <jwages@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:50:49 -0500

Gary,

I've never heard of, or needed to create a slotted, thermally relieved
padstack before, and from my brief check, I don't see a way to build it
using the "Flash" approach.

I can think of a few different approaches to thermally relieving slot shaped
footprint pin soldered connections, but it would really depend on your
specific needs.

I assume this is a plated slot connection to be soldered to a component
footprint pin.

Also assuming you need connection to and therefore, thermal relief from, an
inner layer power/gnd plane.

You require consistent repeatability?

If I had a single layout that required a large number of connections with
these types of parameters, I would probably create the footprint symbol with
the (manually created) thermally relieved, etch layer specific, shapes built
into it. You would have to fiddle with the net assignment and merging
process a bit, but that could be resolved pretty easily with scripts. I
think this approach would also require you to use dynamic and perhaps even
positive plane layers.

I can see a lot of advantage to having a "flash" solution over my
suggestion.

Good luck

Jim

  _____