Re: [icon-users] Links - HTML saving

  • From: Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:05:28 +0000

In message <50226611efrkp@xxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Partridge <rkp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip quoted]
> On a quick test, I can see CSS tags for Chapter and Section, but not
> for Table, List or Paragraph; am I missing something?

> Just to make life awkward, the site for which I routinely use
> Easiwriter consists almost entirely of a table, within which I use
> several Easiwriter paragraph styles, but it'll be good to be able to
> specify a basic style with a CSS.

> I see I'm not the only user who makes web pages with Easiwriter. Any
> chance of further development?

For html elements that do not have the class attribute the
technique I use is this:
I insert some text just before the structure of interest and
then change it to white text on white (or whatever the
background is), thus:
  [table style="..."]  or  [table class="..."]
which becomes something like:
  <FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">[table class="..."]</FONT>
Then I have a little parsing program (Basic) that takes the
html output from TW dropped onto its iconbar icon which
looks for the structure <FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">[...]</FONT>
and applies it to the html element. Then the CSS can
affect the html elements as required. Of course, this extra
text needs to be carefully placed so as not to mess up the
formatting of TW master file and still produce valid html.

This means I can print the TW file and it all looks OK, and
if I output as html the style is also how I want it. Its a
bit of a bodge and involves an extra step in the output
process, but its simple and effective.  Of course, if
Martin gets a chance to get TW to put in the style control
that would be even better.

Actually, I produce most html using TW, in fact wherever I
want the result to look pleasing rather than simply
functional. I also have a very complex parser program that
takes html output from TW, OpenOffice, or MSWord and
normalises the html output to build html documents that
look identical whichever document processor was used.
Don't ask for a copy, though, as its very specific to my
needs. However, I could make the simple program available
after a bit of tidying up, if anyone is interested.

--
Mike Hobbs