[ibis-macro] Re: Question on seeting the EMD direction

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:53:12 -0400

Arpad,

Not sure what you're getting at with your last point.

I think the first challenge we have with an interconnect modeling spec is
defining the problem we're
trying to solve, the intended applications and what assumptions we're willing
to make.  Drawing from
an example earlier today, we need to state our assumptions about how things
like temperature and
process are represented.

There are two fundamental approaches to modeling interconnect as I see it:

1) An electrical equivalent modeling approach, providing a simulation model
that is precise and
accurate enough for an intended purpose

2) A physical description approach, describing the actual materials and
geometries so that
simulation tools can extract their own electrical equivalent models as needed

We've been talking about the first approach with EMD and ICM.

One challenge with simulation is the tradeoff between speed and accuracy
(actually, the tradeoff is
between speed and precision, but that's another discussion).  Model detail is
one of the key
enabling elements of increased *precision*, and thus always gets caught up in
the argument.  The
usual challenge to a given level of modeling detail is "yeah, but your model
doesn't represent such
and such a physical effect, and therefore it isn't accurate enough".  Here as
before, we would be
better served if we distinguished between precision and accuracy.

The level of detail required is case-dependent, which is what makes these
discussions so difficult.
If you have a system that's close enough to the edge, physical effects that
don't matter in 9 out of
10 systems will still be the difference between success and failure in that one
case.  If you try to
create the system (or language) that can represent any possible case, you'll
probably end up with a
system (or language) that no one wants to use (which is what I think Mike was
getting at).

So now what?

If I've followed the discussion correctly, thus far we've said we're interested
in created a spec
for modeling interconnect at the electrical level.  I think we should spend
some more time hashing
out our mission statement - are we modeling interconnect for any purpose at
all?  Over what
frequency range?  For what purpose (for example, if we said we wanted to model
serial links for
periods < 10**17 bits, how big a factor would temperature variation be)?

The practical aspect here is that the more succinctly we can define our mission
statement, and the
more clearly we can articulate intended applications and fundamental
assumptions, the greater our
chance for success will be.  If we can't clearly articulate these things, then
we're taking on a
very big task indeed.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff