[ibis-macro] Re: My summary comments on Interconnect Modeling, LTI and flexiobility

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:36:15 -0400

All,

I have seen no serious argument why LTI is not a valid assumption for
Interconnect today or in the foreseeable future.

Unlike silicon, interconnect modeling has been incredibly stable for the
last two decades, and yes interconnect modeling has been done at speeds over
7Gig for a long time in the communications industry. I do not believe that
anybody seriously claims the need for non-LTI models for simulation.

There is clearly a need for interconnect solution space exploration along
the lines of what was implemented for AMI parameters.

Now consider the advantages of netlist of blocks, each block represented by
one of a short list of models we all know and understand. A netlist that
each EDA vendor understands can be simply translated into his own
simulators.

Now consider timely (desperate?) need for package and connector manufactures
to be able to deliver accurate models. And consider the need that system
developers have in reliably designing next generation high-speed systems.

I would hope we can put this LTI discussion to rest, and start focusing on
decisions like the required set of modeling blocks, the format of the subckt
netlisting format, ...